1978, 30th Reunion Commentary
There were a number of innovative events at this reunion that may be of interest to other classes. Here's a quick summary:
- Career Discovery Event for current undergrads.
- We held a few pre-reunion events, nothing really new there, except that only one was in the Beantown area, and we held an 'outdoorsy' one in Colorado around a 'class climb' of Mount Harvard. I believe Marty Grasso has already submitted something on this to the wiki. (See also the November-December Harvard Magazine Class Notes for a summary narrative.)
- We held 'Life Experience Seminars', informal discussions on topics as varied as money, sex, and health.
- We had yoga sessions, both for those who already did yoga, and those who were so tempted (perhaps by our discussions on health).
- We did major outreach for participation in both the Reunion and the Class Report.
- We added a semi-automated 'career index' to our Class Report.
- We invited bracketing Classes (two above and two below ours, so those with whom we overlapped in our Houses) to join our panel discussions Saturday afternoon.
- We also offered these same Classes copies of our Class Report.
- We actively sought out 'lost' Classmates, including those who were once in our Class but who, for various reasons, no longer are so classified.
After discussions of the HAA Board, offering bracketing classes copies of the Class Report seems to be being adopted as a 'best practice' way of expanding the community, and the Career Discovery Event, done with OCS, is under similar consideration (and was mentioned by both Jack Reardon, President Faust, and Governor Patrick (also HR78) as a great idea).